Child Seats - what you need know!
The law requires all children travelling in vehicles to have the correct child restraint until they are either 12 years old or reach 135cms in height (4ft 5ins ) It is the drivers responsiblity for anyone under the age of 14 to wear their seatbelt, anyone over this age is resposible for their own seatbelt although any driver may want to remind people to wear their seatbelt to keep them safe. Dont take the risk its too high!
It is advised that you refer to manufacturer guidlines and seek advice from the retail outlet when purchasing a childs seat.
- rear facing seats cannot be placed in a seat where there is an active frontal airbag suitable for weights up to approx 13kg and ages from birth to 9 - 12 months
- combination seats mean they can change from rear facing to forward facing seats as the chid reaches approx 9kg then can be used until they reach 18 kg and can be used from birth up to 4 years.
The child seat .
- This can be used in the front or rear of the car and can be secured by an adult seat belt or by its own retention system, the child is secured by a harness which will prevent the child from sliding down the chair.
- can be used from approx 9 months to 4 years and for weight 9 - 18kg.
The booster seat
- This can also be used in the front or the rear of a car and lifts the child so that a adult seat belt can be used, this also has raised sides so the childs under developed hips are protected.
- used for children aged 4 years and over or weight of 15kg and upwards.
The booster cushion
- this is used for children aged 6 years and over and up tp 135cms in height.
- again can be used in either front or rear of car and lifts child to correct plce so a seatbelt can be used.
The adult seatbelt
- must be used in conjuction with a booster seat until can properly fit across the hips, shoulder and breastbone.
- for children over 12years old or at lease 135cm in height.